For English readers...
Almost all the texts which are in my website are in French, sorry for that.
But a few are in English.
Here are some:
- A 1997 letter to Paul Clopton and Mathematically Correct : Brief history of the “Whole and New New Math” in France
- A petition against 2002 new French primary school curriculum : I was one of the two main authors. This petition “ A
ready and easy way to handicap young minds : The new and "Improved"
curriculum for French elementary schools, or how to prevent students
from acquiring basic skills in reading, writing and arithmetic”
- had a certain influence probably because it was pre-signed by two
Fields Medals - Alain Connes and Laurent Schwartz - and famous
philosophers (Pierre Vidal-Naquet, Francis Jeanson, …) and signed by
respected famous academics and members of the Académie des Sciences
; despite of its only local French interest this petition was
also signed by some Americans like Ralph Raimi, David Klein, Andrei
Toom, E.D. Hirsch Jr… (The list is here)
. Here are the French, English and Spanish versions of the petition.
- I was invited in December 2004 by Klaus Hoechsmann at the workshop Numeracy and Beyond, held in the Pacific Institute for Mathematical Studies, in Banff, Canada. A part of my speech “A Historical Testimony for the French Primary School in the Context of Concrete vs. Abstract Numbers” could be read here.
- In 2005, just after “Pisa one”, I participated at a joint meeting of the French Mathematical Society and the Finnish Mathematical Society "Teaching mathematics: beyond the PISA survey". You can read my contribution “Historical movements in public compulsory mathematics curricula” here or here.
- In 2007, I participated in Lisbon at the colloquium "The Future of Mathematics Education in Europe". Here is my contribution "Learning
from the Past for the Future of Mathematics Education : the SLECC
Experimentation (Savoir Lire Écrire Compter Calculer)"
- You can read, too, a contribution of Ralph Raimi “A lengthy commentary, all the truth as of 19 April 2006 : Recent Events in French Education”
If somebody wants to help me to translate some of my texts in English, he will be very much welcomed.